Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The Little Red Book

Last week a friend of mine got hold of a couple of these little red books. The 'Quotations from Mao Tse-Tung'. She was kind enough to think of me and gave me a call to see if I wanted one. These are extremely hard to come by as they are original first edition prints from 1966, in English. Without hesitation I asked her to secure a copy for me. This is not something I am eager to breeze through but rather study over time, one quotation at a time. I am also starting to read a biography of Mao's that my father recently passed on to me. So the plan is that every now and then I am going to post up a couple of these quotes into a new category called 'The Little Red Book'. From what little I know of Mao he was a pretty fascinating character, and after travelling through the smaller cities of China, seeing how he set in motion a plan for development that clearly paved the way for Chinas present success, I am eager to learn more about him. I hope there are other readers who will find this collection equally edifying. The quotations are separated into 33 categories; I will pick out quotations randomly but include the title of the chapter they are from. Enjoy...

XXV. Unity

The Unification of our country, the unity of our people, and the unity of our various nationalities - these are the basic guarantees of the sure triumph of our cause.
On the correct handling of Contradictions Among the People (February 27th, 1957) 1st pd., pp. 1-2.

No comments: