Thursday, June 09, 2005

My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)

Neil Young was part of the band Buffalo Springfield and also played with Crosby, Stills, and Nash back in the 60’s. They churned out hits like For What its Worth, Cinnamon Girl, Ohio, and many more. I have been listening to My My Hey Hey all day and I can’t get it out of my head. The lyrics speak for themselves. Apparently it was Young who coined the phrase ‘Its better tom burn out than to fade away”. Curt Cobain used these very same words in his suicide note.

In the song bellow Young makes a reference to Johnny Rotten who was the lead singer of the Sex Pistols, but he is alive and well today. Some people believe that Young was actually singing about Sid Vicious but he mixed up the names. Others believe he is saying that although the king (Elvis) is gone, his rebellious spirit lives on the Johnny Rotten. Most old school punk rockers view Young as the grand daddy of punk because he was so anti pop.

Over the years Young has collaborated and played music with the likes of Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Joni Mitchell, Kieth Richards, and even the White Stripes. So if you don’t have this song then down load it and give it a spin. Try to get the acoustic version with Crazy Hoarse.

My my, hey hey
Rock and roll is here to stay
It's better to burn out
Than to fade away
My my, hey hey.

Out of the blue and into the black
They give you this, but you pay for that
And once you're gone, you can never come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black.

The king is gone but he's not forgotten
This is the story of a Johnny Rotten
It's better to burn out than it is to rust
The king is gone but he's not forgotten.

Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the pictureT
han meets the eye.
Hey hey, my my.

No comments: