Monday, April 02, 2007

Guangzhou Goes Dark

I walked to my office this morning through beams of sunlight hitting the sidewalk between the columns of buildings lining the street. The day seemed warm and strangely humid for 8.30 am. It was just another normal Monday. Then while I set at my desk on Aril 2nd 2007, Guangzhou went dark! From being a ostensibly normal day I witnessed a twist in the weather that I never new possible. Within seconds it was as if we were under the shroud of night. As if we had experienced a total eclipse of the sun. It was so fucking strange to be looking out into the day light one minute and the next the sky is filled with black clouds, the street lights go on, and it is night time. I just wanted to crawl back into bed with a hot cup of tea.


I imagined the city slipping into chaos as day turned to night and night into day, or the possibility of the sun not emerging again in the days to come. The idea excited me. What is it about chaos and disorder that make some people feel so alive?



Well it lasted all of 10 minutes and now it is just gloomy and rainy outside but the Guangzhou Darkout was pretty cool. Like I said, I had never seen anything like that in my life before. I would like to imagine how it might feel for sea man on an old wooden ship sailing across the seas and coming face to face with a black sky like that, right in the middle of the day. I am sure shit like that happens out in the middle of the ocean. It would be enough to make a grown mans balls shrivel to the size of raisins I think.



Its just a normal Monday now. How boring. It could have been an adventure if things went to hell.

No comments: