Saturday, April 14, 2007

Shawarma in Guangzhou

It has been almost 5 weeks since I quit smoking, I think. And in that time I have not relapsed at all. I tried a few drags of a Japanese cigarette once and smoked a cigar at a cigar lounge. But in the last few weeks I have not had any real cravings. Although when I stand alone in a bar I really do not know what to do with my hands. It’s like drama class all over again. Overall I feel a lot cleaner and I sleep much better at night for some reason, but I eat like a mother fucker now. When I sit down to a meal I just don’t know when to stop. Usually I eat then have a smoke and call it quits; now I just keep going, and going, and going. Would you believe it that after killing a ball of fufu last week I actually went downstairs and ate a full on Shawarma!!!

Yeah dude, I killed a fufu then I slaughtered a shawarma right after. Now if you don’t know what a shawarma is, you are straight up missing out on life. This sandwich roll filled with meat, sauces, and pickles, is probably the best meat and bread in the whole damn world. I mean it, the whole wide world. Slices of meat are cooked on a rotary skewer, cut of into small shreds, rolled into flat pita bread with pickled veggies and a variety of Middle Eastern sauces, and then laid out on a plate with fresh veggies. Tell me that does not blow your mind. The roll is sometimes also slightly grilled on a hot pan before serving.





Right below the building where we had African food in there are a couple of Arabic Restaurants where they cook shawarma right out on the street. My buddy had a chicken shawarma and I had one with chicken and mutton mixed. What can I say, I could not make up my mind which way to go. I still can’t believe I ate that right after a ball of fufu. I am gonna go down like Elvis I tell you. At least HE knew karate. I got no skills man… This video is for all you foodies out there, Shan that means you.

No comments: