Tuesday, September 18, 2007

American Pie by Don McLean

I have always liked the song American Pie by Con McLean. For many people it is a rock classic that they love to play on the juke box and sing along to, but beneath its catchy rhythmic surface lie lyrics that ‘float like a feather but are heavy as lead’. It is fairly common to most rock music fans that this song is about Buddy Holly, and while that may be the case for the general chorus of the song, American Pie is actually about a whole lot more. McLean has never really divulged his complete interpretation of the lyrics but has allowed them to be subjective. Yet their alluring connotation begs to be deciphered. Many people have their own theories and I love to let me mind drift into the 60's when I listen to this song wondering if he was referring to The Beatles when he said ‘the marching band refused to yield’ and if he was talking about Bob Dylan as ‘the jester’. In my mind the 3 men he admired most in the song were Buddy Holly, Jimi Hendrix, and Elvis, but then again I could be wrong. Maybe this song is just about America and can translate to different times. The Trinity could these days be in reference to Biggie, Tupac, and Easy E! I came across this elucidation of American Pie by Don McLean that is pretty awesome. If you like the song or just classic rock music, there is no way you would not dig this.


No comments: