Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Roast

Last Friday being the 4th of April 2008 was a holiday in China. I was the Day of the Dead where people go to their home towns and visit the shrines their ancestors. So that’s why 4 is an unlucky number for Chinese people and the 4th of April is a double 4. Or maybe they chose the Day of the Dead to be on 4-4 because 4 is an unlucky number. It’s kind of like which came first, the chicken or the egg. But I think visiting the shrines of your ancestors is pretty cool, it kind of gives you that sensation of knowing where you came from, having a destiny to fulfill, and knowing where the end of the road while lead you to. I was born Hindu so all my ancestors are dust in the wind, cremated so to speak. The religious belief I was brought up with is focused around detachment and the acquisition of eternal wisdom and bliss though annihilation of the earthly senses. So I guess it is fitting that we have no real ancestral heritage to reflect upon. I don’t really believe in that mumbo jumbo though. Its all about excess I tell you. When I have fulfilled every one of my selfish earthly desires I will find myself on my knees in front of the palace of wisdom. But enough of all that philosophical bullshit! Public holidays are far and few between here so you really got to jump and every single one you get, not like when I was in Indonesia and had a long weekend almost every month. So with last Friday off I packed up my shit on Thursday and took off to Indo to spend the weekend with my nephews. I was not really planning to go out much so I just laid low with the family until Saturday when we I decided to have dinner with a few close friends. But it turns out that with my birthday coming up; this week my sister went out of her way and planned a surprise Roast for me. Yeah, all my mates got together and grilled me to bits.


Now anyone who knows me will have to admit that I am probably the easiest target there is out there to dig up dirt on. Not only because I tend to stick myself into some of the most self defaming and awkward situations one could imagine, but I also go ahead and write about that shit on a blog where is accessible to everyone on the planet. Of course there were numerous word associations with us being at a roast to the time I once roasted myself and of course to the numerous car accidents and other clumsy displays I have had over the years. But there were other stories that literally had me covering my face. The kind of shit that even I had quite conveniently forgotten. If you wanna hear about that shit then you should have been there because there is no way I am repeating it, EVER.



For my 28th Birthday my sister hooked up the most awesome birthday party I ever had in my life, then last year she made a movie for me, that was all about me. I have never felt more like a rock star in my life. This year I got shot down back to earth. It was fucking awesome though and I could not have asked for a better evening. There was even a slide show with compromising photos of me. Thanks to all of you who showed up and for the fools that actually called to take the piss as well. And sorry to all of you who had to sit through those inappropriate shots of me naked as a child. But now you can say you have really seen everything i have to offer. Thanks Jenny for another awesome evening. I would love to say that I am gonna be legit from now and not get into anymore sticky situations, but the fact of the matter is that you know I will. And you are gonna be right there with me, as always. Mahalo.


No comments: