Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Moon Rock - Yangshuo

I purchased an old used camera a couple of months ago, the Pearl River S-201. As I reported then, it is a rundown old hunk of metal made in 1973 by some Chinese defense contractor, and I was not really sure what to expect of it. I took a bunch of pictures in Guangzhou but I lost them because I exposed the film to light. Then I lost another roll because I tried to wind it without unlocking it first. So after some trial and error I am finally getting used to the sucker. I took a few nice black and white pictures on my recent trip to Yangshuo and a couple on a roll of color film that I only got developed this week. These are two shots I took from the base of Moon Rock. It’s not fantastic but using this old hunk of metal, it’s a small step in the right direction for me. It is not as easy to use these old manual cameras as one might expect and I have a bunch of pictures that are just blurred blobs. I think this camera is capable of some pretty cool shit, I just got to figure out how to use it properly. I like the fact that these look like they were taken a long time ago, and I did not have to use any digital software to achieve that effect.


No comments: