Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Happy Diwali

Today is Diwali. A new year on the Hindu calendar. I remember Diwali as a kid, having prayers at home and at my Dad's factory. Then heading out to meet family, light fire crackers with my cousins, hang out and play games. I remember a little of that. Then we moved away from Ghana. I dont think I can recall another Diwali till I was in college. That was really fun. Especially because I was in Hawaii with my cousins from Ghana. Along with them and some new Indian friends we made there, we had an awesome Diwali and managed to share the whole experience with all our non-Indian friends. Over the last 10 years I dont really recall having celebrated Diwali, apart from having used the occasion as an excuse to drink and party excessivly. I cant say it feels like a new year, but maybe it should. Maybe thats what I need. Here is a little virtual diwali puja that you can do right from your own computer screen. You can invite the virtual Laxmi into your heart and hope for monitary blessings. With the economy in the state it is in right now I am sure we could all use some. Happy Diwali.

No comments: