Wednesday, December 27, 2006

China Disconnected

Apparently there was some earthquake in Taiwan yesterday, 26th December, 2006 that has disrupted internet connections in mainland China and even Hong Kong. All day today we here in China have not been able to connect to numerous websites on international servers, these include MSN and Yahoo. My own websites hosted by GoDaddy are inaccessible to me right now, and that means no access to my email. It is surprising that there has been no mention of this break down in the news nor is the information above from an official source such as my ISP. This information has only come to me by word of mouth. The only services that are working as expected are Google related sites. I was able to access mostly all the blogs I tried to although some opened up quite slowly, open Gmail, and also I have been able to retrieve results on the search engine but not to open any of the links successfully. It is amazing that while all other servers are out of reach for us, only Google remained resolute. I believe they are one of the few companies that actually have physical servers on mainland China. YouTube is still inaccessible though. Needless to say today has been quite uneventful, even boring. I still do not know if we will be back online tomorrow or even how serious this problem is. If anyone knows something else please share. Mahalo…

No comments: